Monday, March 31, 2014

For a change....



I had been to my friend's hometown Kayalpattinam (near Trichendur).

In his shop they had kept Rs.1000 worth of coins neatly packed in packets of 100 coins. I inspected the packets. No commemorative coins.

Then, he took me around to nearby shops and asked them to show the coins that they had with them.

In one shop I got a 50 paise Grow more food coin.

In another shop, three Cu-Ni coins which the shopkeeper had kept aside: Kuka, Alphonsa and Reserve Bank (all 5 Rs. coins).

One of our boys said: I have something rare. He took out from his pocket and gave me a 1 Re. 150 years India Post (Calcutta mint). A somewhat rare coin.

Another aged person whom I asked if he had some old coins asked me how old? I said 40 to 50 years old. Then he said, how about more than 100 years old. He asked us to wait and brought four coins, all in very poor condition. One coin was the 1/12 anna East India Co. I quietly gave back the coins to him.

The trouble is many people are keeping with them some coins thinking they are worth a fortune. We should hold awareness camps. I was not even prepared to look at the above four coins!!

No comments:

Post a Comment