Friday, July 27, 2012

Packed in like sardines !!

Yes, another idiom, packed in like sardines.

All along I only imagined the meaning but recently I got to experience it.

The other day I got into a bus and got down at Vijayanagar terminus which
is about 2.5 kms from my home in Madipakkam.

I've heard people talking about share-autos and how convenient(sic) they are.

Though there are buses a plenty, I saw an empty auto and the guy shouting, "Madipakkam,
Madipakkam".

I got into the auto thinking that I would be travelling like a Raja(king). Minutes thereafter
another three people got in. I was beginning to feel uncomfortable.

I said, "Let's go. Let's go."   But no, it seems a passenger count of four would not be economical
for him. Finally the auto left with a total of eleven people. Two passengers on either side of the driver
and eight in the rear, in two rows.

I understood the meaning of packed in like sardines.

Share auto? I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole!!

No comments:

Post a Comment