Sunday, February 12, 2012

You can lead the horse to the water....


You have heard the proverb: You can lead the horse to the water, but you can't make it drink

My father taught me this proverb as "One can lead the horse to the water, but one hundred
can't make it drink".

And then he explained the word "Obstinate".

Probably he could foresee the worker attitude in the twenty first century.

A man (as also a horse) will do something only if he has a mind to do it.

In the jargon of today we call this "mind set".

But can mind-set be instilled in a group of persons? Yes, to a certain extent. The pre-requisite
is that you should have at least one or two persons in that group who are self propellant.

Mother Teresa said: "The miracle is not that we do this work, but that we are happy to do it.

Last Thursday I went to the super-market Lotte to buy vegetables. Fresh stocks arrive on
this day and the shop as usual was crowded with plenty of customers. We picked up a cartload of vegetables and were waiting in the billing lane.

It is then that I saw this young korean guy. Let us call him Kun. He was happily singing and alternating between two lanes. Just as I was about to put the things in the plastic bags, he
came running and Tak, tak, tak. He had filled five bags in a jiffy and moved on to the other lane!

I loved it. I wanted to do that kind of thing myself. If you have one or two persons like Kun
then you will see that excellence becomes contagious! He is a self-propellant.

Today's top brass will say: We have empowered him!!


No comments:

Post a Comment